Between year round destination weddings in Mexico, and our summer weekends stacked in Winnipeg, it's always wedding season at Prep Hair. Our talented team has worked on over 2000 weddings to date! At this point we consider ourselves to be pretty savvy, so we've compiled a list of our top tips for brides to prepare and make the most of their time with our stylists.
1. Don't make any big changes to your hair too close to the wedding. If you suddenly decide you want to go blonde, great! Just make the change well in advance of your trial and the big day. Give yourself time to settle in to a new look, and don't go too trendy - remember, pictures last forever! No matter your style, maintenance appointments are crucial in keeping your hair healthy and fresh. Be sure to schedule a colour refresh or trim at least one week out, lived in hair always looks better.
2. Don't schedule your trial too early. Trends are always shifting, and you'll likely change your mind a few times before landing on your style. We recommend booking your trial 2-3 months before the wedding. If you and your stylist decide that something like extensions are necessary this will allow enough time for the hair to be ordered and installed.
3. Have 2 - 3 inspo pics ready and be open to considering a couple different styles. While our stylists are truly miracle workers, they can't always make the impossible happen. If you have your heart set on a certain look we will do everything we can to make you happy, but you need to trust your stylist and have realistic expectations. Drawing inspiration from a few different places can help your stylists understand your tastes and vision, and then you can work together to achieve a look that will work best with your hair type, your dress, and even the weather!
4. Show up to your trial with clean, dry hair in order to avoid spending most of your appointment getting your hair washed and blown out. Stylists either prefer to work with day old hair or super clean hair, so make sure you find out what is best and then you can do the same for the big day! If you aren't doing a makeup trial it can be helpful for both you and your stylist if you wear some makeup and even a dress or top that has a similar neckline to your wedding dress. We love a sweat suit, but it will be easier to visualize the final look if you aren't wearing a hoodie.
5. Bring your best Rachel if you want, but not the whole cast of Friends. Too many opinions can lead to confusion for both you and your stylist. A second opinion can definitely be helpful, but ultimately it's your opinion that matters the most. Be explicit with your stylist and tell them how you really feel. Your trial is the time experiment and your stylist won't be offended if you don't like something they try. Their goal is to make you happy, and if you work together everyone will be happy in the end.
A hair trial is a crucial step in the wedding planning process so if you're engaged and looking for a stylist get in touch with us! We're booking into 2024 so the sooner the better! Click here to fill out our wedding inquiry form to start planning with our coordination team.